close print view
Investment Adviser Representatives: How To Register
- Examination Requirement: Michigan requires the Series 65 examination. The exam must be passed within the 2 year period preceding the date of application. Exceptions are granted for the following reasons:
- if the Series 66 exam was passed within the 2 year period preceding the date of application. However, an active Series 7 exam is required with the Series 66 exam.
- if an IAR has been registered within the preceding two years in another state, as long as the state of registration also required the applicant to pass the S65 exam.
- if an IAR has one of the professional designation found on the U-4 form or listed in Transition Order No. 09-049-M
Note: if you meet one of the exam exceptions listed above and your registration status on CRD indicates deficient, please notify our office of the deficiency by email or fax (517) 241-6356.
- Application: Submit a Form U-4 electronically through FINRA's nationwide database known as the Central Registration Depository (CRD) System. The employing investment adviser firm should have knowledge of this process; however, you may contact FINRA for further information at 301-590-6500. All forms to apply or withdraw an IAR registration are available through FINRA's website. (there is no fingerprint card requirement for Michigan IAR's)
- Fee: IAR registration fees are $65. This fee is deducted automatically from the employing firm's account with FINRA and forwarded to Michigan.