Welcome to the Michigan Academic Standards Page!
According to the dictionary, a standard is “something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison”. Today’s world is replete with standards documents such as standards of care, standards of quality, and even standard operating procedures. These various sets of standards serve to outline agreed-upon expectations, rules, or actions which guide practice and provide a platform for evaluating or comparing these practices.
The state academic standards posted here serve to outline learning expectations for Michigan’s students and are intended to guide local curriculum development. They should be used as a framework by schools for curriculum development with the curriculum itself prescribing instructional resources, methods, progressions, and additional knowledge valued by the local community. Furthermore, these standards provide a platform for state assessments, which are used to measure how well schools are providing opportunities for all students to learn the content outlined by the standards.
On this page, you will also find the course/credit descriptions and guidelines for implementing the Michigan Merit Curriculum for each subject area.
- Science Course/Credit Requirements
- K-7 Science Companion Documents
- High School Science Companion Documents
- K-7 Science Standards
- 8-High School Science Standards
- Social Studies Course/Credit Requirements
- High School Social Studies Standards
- K-8 Social Studies Standards
- World Language FAQs
- Michigan World Language Standards and Benchmarks
- World Languages Credit/Experience Guidelines