Driver's License & State ID
- Sign up for SOS News!Find out everything that's going on in the Department of State by reading the SOS-Express Newsletter. To receive the newsletter in your email inbox or to receive texts, go to our sign-up page.
- Graduated Driver's License RestrictionsDriving restrictions for teens with a Level 2 graduated driver's license (GDL).
- SAVE Awareness Video for Driver's License & State ID ApplicantsThis video explains how SAVE functions to help many local, state and federal government agencies verify immigration status.
- Basic Driver Improvement CourseThe Basic Driver Improvement Course program permits eligible drivers to take a driver improvement course, either on-line or in a classroom.
- CDL Self and Medical CertificationBecause of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations, drivers who are renewing, correcting or applying for an original Commercial Driver License (CDL) must self-certify which type of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operation they will perform.
Online Services and Information
- Applying for license or ID? - Applicant Checklist
- Become an Organ Donor
- Branch Office Locator
- CDL Self and Medical Certification
- Change of Address/Voter Registration
- Driver Responsibility Program
- Driver's License Fees
- Driving Skills Testing Organizations
- Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Courses
- Obtain Your Driving Record
- Emergency Medical Card
- Renew Driver's License
- Replace Driver's License
- Where to get an Enhanced License or ID
Frequently Used Forms and Publications
- Identification Requirements for Obtaining a Michigan Driver's License or State Identification Card
- What Every Driver Must Know
- Driving Skills Test Study Guide (SOS-360)
- Michigan CDL Manual
- Michigan Graduated Driver License: A Guide for Parents
- Motorcycle Operator Manual
- Request for Hearing (SOS-257/258)
- Additional Driver-Related Forms and Publications
- ¿Cómo Solicitar una Licencia o Identifactión? (SOS-428SP)
Learn about: Obtaining your first Michigan driver's license, including the GDL for persons under 18 years of age, license requirements for new residents, and special needs for motorists who need interpreters and translated tests.
Learn about: Obtaining personal identification cards (PID) for Michigan residents, senior citizens, children and drivers whose driving privileges have been terminated.
Learn about: Michigan's driver education programs, including information for administrators and instructors.
Learn about: Information for parents and their teens to help them navigate through Michigan's Graduated Driver License system.
Learn about: Find Information about aging drivers and their families.
Learn about: Michigan's driving skills testing services and Road Skills Testing Organization Locator.
Learn about: The driver record point system; probationary program for new Michigan drivers, alcohol/drug, non-alcohol, and non-driving-related offenses/convictions; appeal process and programs that deny access to your vehicle.
Learn about: Information for sponsors and citizens about the Department of State Basic Driver Improvement Course.
Learn about: Administrating the Michigan Motorcycle Safety Program is an important aspect of the Department of State's traffic safety mission.